Ode to Green Tea

Here along the waters of West Lake
Much adored by poets of dynasties hence

Comes the equally praiseworthy
Dragon Well tea.


Green, supple leaves, almost magical in my mind
to make such a simple and delicate drink.
We shouldn’t be surprised that this unassuming shrub
chooses such a delicate region as its hub.


This warm, soothing beverage
Rich with antioxidants
Gives off just enough caffeine
No, not too much
like that jittery beverage from the tropics
But just enough
For a midday pick-me-up.


Immediately one can hear the sound of the guqin and the bawu
And see the willows swaying in the gentle breeze
Not to mention the craggy mountains behind.
Those scholars of yore took it upon themselves
To sip tea while discussing Confucius and literature
Don’t picture the aloof philosopher, the snobby aesthete
This is serious business, with tea in hand they meet.


I love to watch the green leaves dance in the simmering water.
I won’t stop you if you really want to add milk, sugar, and all the rest
But, as for me, no additives please.
I am content with these unadorned and unfermented leaves.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Clay! I hear that Riley is headed your way and hope you guys have a great visit. I have recently become a coffee person and want to make the switch to this rich with antioxidants, delicate drink. This is good inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olivia Renner4/29/2009

    Hi Clayton:

    This is Olivia... From Turkey! Well, not from Turkey, from Colorado, but we met in Turkey. Russ sent me your blog! I hope you are doing well, I am so happy too see you, and that you are doing well in China! If you want my email is orenner@me.com

    ReplyDelete